Skip to main content
Degrees & Majors


Master of Arts


Relative to the more general M.A. in East Asian Studies, the Master of Arts degrees in Chinese or Japanese are more specialized, with most coursework focused specifically on China and the Chinese language or Japan and the Japanese language, respectively. They require more advanced language study and are intended primarily for students who intend to subsequently pursue a Ph.D. in Chinese or Japanese.

This degree option may also be excellent preparation for someone whose career aspirations require extensive familiarity with more than one East Asian language.

Please note that this degree is distinct from the department's M.A. offerings in Chinese- or Japanese-language pedagogy, which are specialized programs designed specifically for students who want to become instructors of Chinese or Japanese language at the university level.