By studying the past, we are better able to understand and communicate the importance of issues in our contemporary world. The IU Online Master of Arts in History explores geographic regions of the world in both modern and pre-modern time periods to identify historical actors, events of significance, and social movements.
As a IU Kokomo student in the program, you gain graduate-level historical knowledge, critical thinking skills, and techniques for clear and persuasive writing. You learn to recognize historiographic trends and their meanings, perform research, and construct original historical arguments. Your studies will culminate in at least one semester-long research project of original scholarship.
Specific areas of focus include:
- Early America (1400–1800)
- The long 19th century in the US (1800–1917)
- Modern United States (1917–present)
- The US and the world
- European history
- Latin American history
- Asian history
- African history
When you graduate from the program, you will have:
- Effective oral and written historical communication skills.
- The ability to perform research.
- The ability to construct original historical arguments.
- Competencies in digital and public history.
Your IU Online MA in History helps prepare you for such careers as:
- General researcher
- Writer or editor
- Journalist or broadcaster
- K-12 teacher
- Library or museum worker